Keeping poultry has always been popular in Hungary but there have been documents on poultry farming and its sale only since the middle of the 19th century, when Csongrád county became one of the centres of poultry industry forming out those times. The first merchant of poultry in Szentes mentioned in a document was Móricz Hungerleider originating from the famous Hungerleider family in Vienna. Thanks to his family's connections, he was successful in doing his business in poultry and egg trade on both internal and external markets. It is well known that a poultry merchant of the 19th century dealt with trading with fruit and shot game as well until the middle of the 20th century.
After World War I it was Zsigmond Preisz who settled down in Szentes and became the biggest buyer of poultry in the town and its surroundings. As he could not cope with the enormous quantity of products, but benefiting from the good opportunity of investment, he asked for the help of the famous Hartman & Conen Company based in Subotica. Besides the enormous quantity of products of Zsigmond Preisz, the Hartmans' four-decade experience, their good information on the market and their connections guaranteed favourable prospects at the foundation of the new company. Due to the long talks on the foundation and the long procedure to get all the licences, the town council gave the trade licence to the Food Export Corporation only on 27 April 1922.
The new plant was built near the railway line and it is still found there. The development of the plant and the increase in the quantity of the processed products can be illustrated well with the fact that the number of employees in 1922 was only 100 but one year later the factory already employed 300 to 350 people. The Hungarian poultry industry became one of the most important industries in the country between the two world wars and our plants working well and precisely provided products of excellent quality on the markets of Western Europe. After World War II poultry industry was revived in Szentes.
The stormy years after 1945 also affected our plant and in 1947 it got under the direction of the Hungarian National Cooperative Centre, then it was nationalised and named as Szentes Poultry Processing Enterprise on 1 October 1948 and it was managed by the National Enterprise on Poultry Sale.
The real change and boom in the industry started only after 1956, when having recognised the mistakes of the previous years, the leaders of the country also provided state support to other sectors than heavy industry.
In the 1970s and the 1980s the quantity of the processed products trebled and its production using merely the existing technology available was not possible to be realised without difficulty. New investments started at the enterprise. The lines in food processing installed in 1984 used methods for the first time in Hungary. Chopping, mincing, pickling, smoking and boiling lines started to produce various types of sausages, salami and ham. The success of many of these products is proved with the fact that thanks to their quality preceding their times and to their flavour still without a change, they are still sold on the markets. The trade has acknowledged the quality of our further processed products as Delko ham in various flavours and goose liver pâté have won prizes of market and of success at several prominent national and international exhibitions. Having the Quality Food from Hungary trademark label, we can inform our customers without further explanation that our products are made using high technology and following all the regulations on food processing. After the change of the political system in Hungary, the Szentes Poultry Processing Enterprise got into a difficult economic situation as most Hungarian enterprises. On 1 December 1990 the further processing part of the enterprise became separated and started its operation as HUNGERIT Ltd., founded by Hungarian, Italian and German owners. The limited company became the most significant in the Hungarian further processing market. In December 1993 GOLD M Ltd., which aimed to continue the poultry processing, was formed from Szentes Poultry Processing Co. in liquidation then.
We have to highlight one of the improvements, which is prominent from the view of the history of industry. In 1990 it was in Szentes where a Stein line making breadcrumbed heat-and-serve poultry products was put into production for the first time in Hungary. To enlarge the capacity, a new line, HUNGERIT PLUS, processing 800 kilos an hour started its production in 1994. The breadcrumbed products had a bigger success than the further processed ones among the customers. The breadcrumbed heat-and serve products have won many rewards of the trade and the public at the biggest national expos. On 17 February 1997 the owners of HUNGERIT Ltd., Hungerit Plus Ltd. and GOLD M LTD made a decision on the merger of the three companies and on 1 July they formed as a corporation.
To provide high quality products HUNGERIT Plc. keeps doing investments and improvements nowadays as well. The production has become easier, more efficient and more up-to-date by having air-conditioned and converted the processing lines, by having renewed the technology of the goose chopping lines. The year of 2001 saw a large investment to build Breadcrumbed Products Plant III. Thanks to SAPARD funds announced in 2003, the construction of a passage as a corridor, purchase of wrapping, boiling and smoking lines, the construction of sewage and water pipes have been realised.
The investments and improvements mentioned above give a suitable background so that our company can meet the requirements of consumers and of quality guarantee.